It's World Bee Day!
I know, some people still aren't sure about the bees. They buzz, fly in your face while gardening and can leave a tender sting if provoked. But trust me, we need the bees and I'm so glad there is an actual World Bee Day to help raise bee awareness. If you haven't heard yet, bees are pollinators. They are a huge help with our food supply, which is why people are encouraged to plant bee friendly flowers and leave the dandelions in the spring.
We have several bee friendly creators in our boxes, and I wanted to do a little shout out as a thank you for the work they do.
- The Humble Bee is a Spruce Grove, AB area company. They are local bee keepers who offer a variety of beeswax products. We are happy to have their unique beeswax wraps in our 1st trimester box.
- Beaver Creek Honey is located in Beaver County, AB. They are another local apiary and they carry raw honey along with many other bee inspired products. We are thrilled to have their body and cuticle salve in our 1st trimester box.
- The Beehive in Calgary, AB. A company that prides itself in respecting our greatest pollinators, they offer many different natural remedies, candles and self care items. We are looking forward to sharing their bath products in our upcoming boxes.
- KarenLeoneDesigns is located in Calgary, AB. She produces reusable home products, which is important for our environment. From snack bags to unpaper towels, she can do anything. She gets a special shout today for making us Bee pattern reusable face/make up wipes.
- Cuddly for a Cause from nearby Edmonton, AB. This is a new to us maker, and we couldn't resist when we saw her cuddly crochet bees. They have the added bonus that a percentage of sales from this product go towards Honeybee Conservancy. We are so excited to show off these little guys in an upcoming box.
Just for fun, here are 5 cute bee facts:
- A honeybee can fly for up to 9 kms
- Honeybees communicate to each other by dancing
- A queen can live up to 5 years
- Honey has been used as medicine to help with sore throats, allergies and even digestive issues
- Even Cleopatra valued honey bees and supposedly used honey in her beauty routine
Thanks so much for learning about our little creators, both the bees and suppliers ;)
We have so many outstanding makers who work hard to provide wholesome foods, reusable home care products, sustainable self care items... I think we'll just have to create some other national days to highlight some more!
Have a bee-eautiful day!